Books Download Online Being and Nothingness  Free
Being and Nothingness Paperback | Pages: 688 pages
Rating: 3.96 | 25225 Users | 390 Reviews

Specify Containing Books Being and Nothingness

Title:Being and Nothingness
Author:Jean-Paul Sartre
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 688 pages
Published:August 28th 2003 by Routledge (first published 1943)
Categories:Philosophy. Nonfiction. Classics. Cultural. France

Commentary In Pursuance Of Books Being and Nothingness

Being & Nothingness is without doubt one of the most significant philosophical books of the 20th century. The central work by one of the century's most influential thinkers, it altered the course of western philosophy. Its revolutionary approach challenged all previous assumptions about the individual's relationship with the world. Known as 'the Bible of existentialism', its impact on culture & literature was immediate & was felt worldwide, from the absurdist drama of Samuel Beckett to the soul-searching cries of the Beat poets. Being & Nothingness is one of those rare books whose influence has affected the mindset of subsequent generations. Seventy years after its 1st publication, its message remains as potent as ever--challenging readers to confront the fundamental dilemmas of human freedom, choice, responsibility & action.

List Books In Favor Of Being and Nothingness

Original Title: L'être et le néant
ISBN: 0415278481 (ISBN13: 9780415278485)
Edition Language: English

Rating Containing Books Being and Nothingness
Ratings: 3.96 From 25225 Users | 390 Reviews

Critique Containing Books Being and Nothingness
In Sartres Being and Nothingness, he promotes the existentialist outlook that existence precedes essence. Its a view that opposes the Aristotelian quest for the meaning of something by asking after its function, and defining its virtue based on how well it performs that function. Sartre argues that although the function of something can be used to define an object, it does not define a Being in that a Being is not an object, but a subject. Unlike inanimate objects Beings are in constant flux, in

I want to make clear that my rating only expresses my enjoyment of the book and not my respect for the impact it had on Western Thought.

Instead of reading this book I would strongly suggest watching the "No Exit" with Harold Pinter available on youtube written by Sartre. It illustrates a large part of his philosophy of the Other, the Look and the self. And, you'll get a hint on why Sartre doesn't work today. In addition, my favorite phrase ever and the one that I make as my own comes from that play "l'enfer c'est les autres" (hell, is others), and my second favorite is "vous ete mon bourreau" (you are my torturer). I think the

A few years ago I read about half of Being and Nothingness (finally!). Back in school days I thought I was cutting my philosophical teeth on Sartre and the others known as existentialists. Im quite certain I was making most of it up. It was time to play catch-up and read Sartres work which I believed to have already assimilated. It evolves that I had moved quite a distance beyond Sartres existentialism. But I did not finish my reading for external reasons and it remains on my shelf for that

L'etre et le neant, essai d'ontologie phenomenologique = Being and Nothingness, Jean-Paul SartreBeing and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology, sometimes subtitled A Phenomenological Essay on Ontology, is a 1943 book by the philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, in which the author asserts the individual's existence as prior to the individual's essence and seeks to demonstrate that free will exists. While a prisoner of war in 1940 and 1941, Sartre read Martin Heidegger's Being and Time



One of the more cold-serious works I've read, this treatise exerts a strange power that forces readers onward despite the dense subject matter and clunky English translation.The subject is man's experience of reality. Here you have a rigorous scouring of the subject resulting in a proof of human freedom so thorough you'll never fool with hard determinism again. Every aspect of consciousness is traced in all its implications. After reading this there seems little more to be said about the basis